Thick yellow nails can be hard to trim properly. Thick yellow toenails can be difficult to cut and can cause discomfort and eventul health issues. Your thick nails can be softened to make the toenail trimming less difficult.
Issues That Can Cause Thickened Nails
- Fungal Infections
- Diabetes and poor circulation
- Trauma to the nail
The Way to Soften Toenails for Cutting
- Trimming thick yellow nails without softening the nails first will cause the nail to crack, chip, and crumble.
- Prepare a basin of warm water. The water should be deep enough to cover your feet.
- Add three tablespoons of Epsom salt to the warm water.
- Soak your feet for about 30 minutes in your tub or basin of warm water. Extremely hard toenails may need to be soaked for longer times.
- After soaking is completed, pat your feet completely dry.
- Apply a medicated toenail softening crème on your toenail.
- Allow the medicated softening crème to stay on overnight to soften your toenail thoroughly before trimming the toenail the next day.
Home Remedies for Softening Hard Nails
- Vicks Vaporub – This product can be used instead of soaking your feet in water to soften hard nails. The elements in Vicks Vaporub will hydrate your toenail, and some studies have shown that Vaporub can prevent the onset of best toenail fungus treatment. It is suggested to apply on your toenail twice a day.
- Tea Tree Oil – Tea Tree Oil with olive oil can help the onset of toenail fungus. Mix a few of the oil with olive oil and apply a few drops to the toenail.
- White Vinegar – White Vinegar is known to have antibacterial properties. With a cotton ball soaked with vinegar apply to your toenail. Repeat this application twice a day.
Procedure Before Applying Medicated Polish
If you using a medicated nail polish, using a additional treatment will speed the medication effects of the medicated polish. Omiera Labs Nail Fungus Treatment typically works quicker than other medications of this type. When your nails are trimmed or filed, make sure the nail technician properly clipped your nails and filed short. Good nail tools to use for proper trimming are the Harperton Ciipper Nail Set and KlipPro nail clippers. Before you apply the polish, there are some steps you should take. Make sure your nails are clean and hands are clean, softening the nail bed. Take a foot soak for 15 minutes. This will further the softening process and allow the polish to be absorbed.
Other Useful Information
Nail polish users assume a coat of nail polish will cover up their current nail fungus and hide the problem without causing further harm to the nail fungus. Use nail polish, opi gel color or other famous brands. Usually, if the nail has fungus becomes hard and brittle which at best brings attention to your riddged, brittle toenails since the coat is applied on a toenail in this condition. If you do nail polish while suffering with toenail fungus, using only a medicated nail polish should only be used.